Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chapter 46

Lindsay woke up early the next morning. Sliding out from under Jon’s arm, careful not to wake him she headed for the shower. Emerging from the bathroom she quickly dressed and approached the bed. Sitting on the edge, she smoothed a lock of hair off his forehead and smiled at how angelic he looked sleeping there, slumped on his stomach, only one eye visible. Leaning down she kissed him gently to wake him.

“Mmmm.” His arm snaked around her hips to pull her closer. Feeling her clothing he frowned and opened his eye. “Why are you dressed already?”

She chuckled. “Because your family is going to descend on us very shortly, and I knew if I didn’t get dressed before I woke you, I’d still be naked when they arrived!”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.” He grinned.

She grinned back at him. “Come on lazy bones. I need you to help me get things ready.” She gave him a swat on his rear end and tried to stand up. He tightened his grip and held her still.

“Honey you know I can’t cook – at least not food.” He leered at her.

“Wow, you’ve really got a one track mind this morning.” She laughed. “Well, you can make us breakfast while I work on dinner. I know you can handle that much……and we’ll see about the rest of your…domestic skills…. later….after everyone has gone.” Kissing him again she went to rise. Reluctantly he let her go.

Sitting up he ran a hand through his hair and sighed. “Ok I guess I can do that.” Lindsay made sure he was heading for the shower before she headed downstairs.

They had finished breakfast, Lindsay had completed as much of the dinner preparations as she could this far ahead, and had just got everything cleaned up when they heard the monitor beep that the gate was opening.

Reaching the front door as it opened they were quickly engulfed by Jon’s very enthusiastic family.

Helping Romeo get his coat and boots off, Lindsay picked the toddler up for a hug and a kiss hello. He immediately got distracted by the flash of her necklace visible at the base of her throat. Touching it he looked thoughtful for a minute, then he smiled. “Daddy!”

She smiled. “Yes, Daddy gave me the necklace.”

The little boy frowned. “No!” Twisting around until he could reach Jon who was standing beside them he patted his father’s upper arm. “Daddy!”

“Oh, yes, it’s just like Daddy’s tattoo.” She laughed.

Carol, noting the necklace raised a questioning brow at her oldest son. He just smiled.

Settling everyone in the living room by the tree, Stephanie and Jesse started handing out the presents. Conversation was reduced to “thank you!”, “cool”, and “hey look at this!”

Looking up from watching Jon help Romeo open a present, Lindsay saw Stephanie approaching. “Thank you so much for the clothes Lindsay, they’re really cool.”

Jon looked up at that. “Hey, I believe my name was on some of those packages.”

“Yeah, but I know who picked them out.” At a look from Lindsay, she sighed, leaned down and kissed her father’s cheek. “Thanks Dad.”

“You’re welcome…even though apparently I’m not capable of picking out cool clothes.” He grouched.

Stephanie rolled her eyes. “Oh you do okay for your stage stuff, but face it… if you had your way I’d still be in frilly little pink dresses and overalls!” Even Jon had to smile at that…there was a certain amount of truth to her statement. He wasn’t very comfortable with the idea of his little girl growing up.

Turning to Lindsay she showed her the gift certificate she got for a local spa. “Do you know anything about this place?”

Lindsay shook her head. “Not personally, but the girls at work say it’s wonderful.” She waved her own certificate. “I got one too.”

Stephanie’s face lit up. “Cool! Can we go together?”

“Sure, if you want to.” Blinking back tears she blindly reached for Jon’s hand, felt him grip it and squeeze. “I’d like that.”



Dinner was plentiful and delicious – although both Jake and Romeo looked like they had been rolling in it instead of eating it.

“Hey buddy! How’d you get it on me?” Matt asked incredulously from where he sat beside Jake. “Don’t you know you’re supposed to put it in your mouth not on my shirt?!” Jake laughed and offered his uncle a spoonful of his pudding.

“Lindsay, will you play that new game you gave me with me after dinner?” Jesse asked.

“Sure pal, just let me get your brothers cleaned up and you’re on.” She replied.

“I’ll play with you until she’s done.” Anthony offered. Jesse smiled and accepted his uncle’s challenge.

Walking into the kitchen with an armload of dishes Stephanie stopped and looked around. “Whoa, Mrs. Henderson’s gonna freak!”

Lindsay chuckled. “No she’s not, because we’re going to clean it all up.”

At Stephanie’s dismayed look her grandmother laughed. “Come on Steph it won’t take that long.”

When Lindsay headed for the sink, Carol stopped her. “We’ll do this, you go bathe the two terrors in there before they spread the rest of their meal all over the house.”

Re-entering the dining room she stood surveying the two youngest members of the family.

“What’s the matter?” Jon asked.

“I’m trying to figure out how to pick them up and get them into the bathtub without wearing some myself!” She answered wryly.

“No problem.” Matt piped up. “Jon, you grab Romeo and I’ll get Jake.” The two strong men lifted the little boys under the arms and held them at arms length all the way upstairs to the bathroom where they deposited them in the tub.

Half an hour later she led the two, now clean and in pajamas into the living room before heading into the kitchen to help finish cleaning there.

Returning to the living room, she stopped in the doorway and surveyed the family spread out around the room in various activities. She focused on Jon with Romeo on his lap reading a new book. The sight brought a tear to her eye and a smile to her face. Over the last few months she had watch Jon become more and more comfortable with Romeo. Now, there was no more flinching when Romeo called him ‘Daddy’, no more shadows in his eyes when he looked at the beautiful little boy. They were just father and son.

“I’m glad to see that Jon has come to terms with that situation.” Carol commented from beside her. When Lindsay looked at her questioningly, she nodded towards Jon and Romeo. “Romeo’s too little to understand what’s going on, but he could sense Jon’s distance. That was too bad. It’s not Romeo’s fault. I’m glad Jon has accepted him.”

Lindsay nodded. “He’s such a wonderful little boy, he deserves to be loved. They all do.”

Carol shook her head in disbelief at her. “You amaze me Lindsay.”

Lindsay gaped at her in surprise. “Why?”

“Well, most women in your position would, at best, tolerate their boyfriend’s children with another woman, but you truly love them. When Jon said that you didn’t have children I was afraid that meant that you didn’t like them. But I can see that’s not the case.” She hesitated, not wanting to pry.

Lindsay understood her hesitation. “I just never found the right man in time, and now…” She shrugged, accepting that she would never have a child from her body.

Carol debated pointing out that 39 was not too late, but changed her mind. She’d let the two of them decide that. “Well, I have to say that I’m selfishly grateful for it.” At Lindsay’s look she explained. “Your maternal instinct is very strong. And it’s my grandchildren who will benefit from that and the love you so obviously have to share with them.”

Eyes shining Lindsay smiled. “I can see so much of him in them it tugs at my heart. They’re part of him, but they’re great kids in their own right. I feel privileged to be part of their lives.”

Carol hugged her. “Welcome to my family Lindsay. I’m so glad Jon found you.”



Chapter 47

It was two days before New Year’s Eve and Lindsay was tidying up her desk before heading to Jon’s when her phone rang.

“Hello.”

“Hi Lindsay, it’s Dorothea.”

“Hi. How are you?”

“Fine thanks. I have a favour to ask though.” Dorothea admitted.

“What’s up?”

“Can you take the kids for a few days? I know that you’re having a party New Year’s Eve, so if you don’t want to I’ll understand. Sam wanted us to get away for a few days. I told him that we should wait, but,….”

Lindsay interrupted her. “That’s fine Dorothea, we can take them.”

“Are you sure? I know they can be a handful, and with a houseful of people coming…” Dorothea sounded doubtful.

“It’s fine. They’re really no trouble. Richie and the rest of the guys are arriving tomorrow, so they can help keep them occupied, and they know everyone that’s coming to the party, so it’ll be fine.” Lindsay assured her. “Can I ask why you’re calling me and not Jon?”

Dorothea snorted. “Because I know he’ll say yes without discussing it with you. I know what it’s like to try to organize a party and have him drop things on you at the last minute with no warning. I figured that this way you get a say and are prepared.”

Lindsay laughed. “Thanks. I appreciate that. When do you want us to take them?”

“If it’s okay with you, we’ll drop them off tomorrow afternoon and pick them up on the second.” Dorothea suggested.

“That works for me. I’ll make sure their rooms are ready. I guess I’d better stock up on chocolate chips. Between the kids and Richie, I can’t keep up with the cookie demands.” Lindsay was thinking out loud.

Dorothea laughed. “I’ve heard about your cookies. I’ll have to try one sometime. Thanks a lot for this Lindsay. I really appreciate it. See you tomorrow.”

Entering the house Lindsay headed for the kitchen to let Mrs. Henderson know that the kids would be coming for a few days and discuss menu ideas.

She tracked Jon down in his study. “The kids are coming tomorrow and staying until after New Year’s.” She informed him.

He raised his brows, surprised. “You invited them?”

She shook her head. “Dorothea called and asked me if we could take them. She and Sam want to get away for a few days. That’s ok isn’t it?”

“Sure.” He looked a little confused. “Wonder why she called you and not me.”

Lindsay smiled. “I asked her that too. She said that she knows you and wanted to make sure that I was okay with it…and that I was prepared.” He grunted.


New Year’s Eve arrived and with it Lindsay’s nervousness. She’d been driving the staff nuts going over every detail again and again to make sure they hadn’t forgotten anything. This was their first party as a couple and she really wanted to make a good impression on Jon’s friends. Jon kept telling her to relax, but that was easier said than done. They wanted the evening to be casual so she had decided to wear black loose dress pants and a matching strapless, form fitting top, but now she wasn’t so sure. She was checking her appearance yet again in the mirror when Jon came looking for her.

Sighing he looked over her head and met her eyes in the mirror. “Will you relax! You look beautiful. Everyone’s going to love you.” Bending he kissed her bare shoulder.

“Hey you two! Get a room… oh wait this is your room… I mean get a move on. Your guests will be arriving any minute. And Jon, while I don’t doubt she’s delicious – she certainly looks it tonight – you can’t eat our hostess…yet.” Richie chortled from the doorway.

Blushing she turned and headed for the door. As she passed Richie she looked up at him still chuckling at his own wit. “You know Sambora, it’s a good thing you’re cute because you’re not as funny as you think you are.” The look on his face was priceless. He wasn’t sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult.

Jon was chuckling as he clapped his friend on the back. “She gets a little feisty when she’s nervous… but she’s right.” Richie gave him the finger. Jon laughed and they both followed Lindsay down the hallway.

I’m never going to remember all these names! Lindsay looked around the room with something close to panic. There were BJM people, Soul people, Habitat people, other charities, personal friends, and some she wasn’t sure where they fit. Some overlapped, some had brought dates, some had spouses, and some she wasn’t sure what they were. She was almost afraid to open her mouth in case she put her foot in it. Buck up Lindsay. You survived ten years in the political arena, you danced on stage with the Deputy Prime Minister of Canada, you can do this. You’re just a little out of practice. Jon’s touch on her back brought her attention back to her immediate vicinity.

“Lindsay I’d like you to meet Craig Spencer and Ron Jaworski.” Jon introduced her.

“Hi, I have to say I’m really looking forward to the new season.” Lindsay smiled as she shook their hands.

“You like arena football?” Craig asked, a little surprised. Jon was too.

She nodded enthusiastically. “Don’t tell Bill,” she gestured toward Bill Belichik whom she had met earlier, “but I actually prefer it to the outdoor game. Player’s bouncing off the boards, live balls off the nets in the end zone, ironmen playing both ways, it’s a blast to watch. I can hardly wait to actually see a game in the arena.”

Ron laughed. “That’s what I like to hear! Anytime you want to attend a game, even if Jon’s away, just let Craig’s assistant know and we’ll make sure the owner’s box is ready for you.”

“Thanks. I’ll be taking you up on that, especially since Jon’s going to be on tour for most of the season.” Lindsay responded.

“Hmm, maybe I should take another look at my tour schedule. I’m not sure I like the idea of you going to games without me.” Jon frowned. They all laughed.

Circulating around they came upon a BJM group. This group Lindsay was a little more comfortable with as she had met many of them several times before.

“I want to thank you again for all of your help with Jon’s Christmas present.” She said to Janet.

“Oh you’re welcome.” Janet replied. “He liked it then?”

“Oh yeah, I think you could say that.” Lindsay smiled and shot a look at Jon who smiled back at her, his eyes glowing in remembrance.

“I loved it.” He replied.

Neither of them noticed the two women standing by the side of the room watching them.

“Hey boss!” Obie walked up to join them.

Jon quirked a brow. “You must want something.”

“Who me?” Obie asked in his most innocent voice. “I’m just trying to make all of our lives a little easier.”

They all looked at him in confusion. “You’re making even less sense than usual Ob, what’s up?” Jon voiced what everyone was thinking.

“Well, I wanted to introduce Lindsay here to some of our security people, so that when she joins us on the road she won’t get ignored and told to take a hike, which would just upset her, which would just upset you, which would just make all of our lives a living hell, which I would just as soon avoid if at all humanly possible, and Richie said to tell you that the cookies are running out.”

It took several moments to sort out everything that had come spouting out of his mouth. “Did he say that all in one breath?” Lindsay asked, impressed.

“Yeah, he’s just chock full of hot air.” Jon replied dryly. “I do not make everyone’s life a ‘living hell’ when I’m upset about something.”

Everyone just stared at him in disbelief, but no one wanted to argue with the boss. Lindsay chuckled. “Let’s just say that you’re much more pleasant to be around when you get your way.” She replied diplomatically. Even Jon had to laugh at that.

Stephanie came walking up carrying Romeo and holding Jake’s hand. Both of them were bathed and in their pajamas. “The boys want to say good night.”

“Night guys.” Jon said as he bent and kissed them goodnight.

“Night Daddy.” Jake answered.

“Night little man. Night buddy.” Lindsay kissed them too.

“Yindsay read story!” Romeo demanded.

“Not tonight, buddy, she needs to stay down here. I’ll read you your story.” His sister offered.

Out came the bottom lip and it started to quiver. His face scrunched up and turned an alarming shade of red. “NO! WANT YINDSAY! YINDSAY READ STORY!”

“Okay, okay, but just a short one.” Lindsay relented to avoid a full on tantrum.

Instantly his face relaxed into a big smile and he reached for her.

“Speaking of Bongiovi’s who are more pleasant when they get their way!” Obie commented.

Laughter followed her as she headed for the stairs with Stephanie and Jake.


Chapter 48

Heading back down the stairs after getting the boys to sleep Lindsay found her way blocked at the bottom by two women. Both brunettes, beautiful and well built they exuded sex. Lindsay racked her brain trying to remember their names. She had a vague vision of meeting them and their dates – who were BJM staff members she thought.

“You seem pretty comfortable in his house.” The one on the left commented.

“Yeah, it took awhile to get used to, but I don’t get lost nearly as often anymore.” Lindsay quipped, not sure what the women were after.

The women just smiled faintly.

“I suppose pretending to care about his kids is a good way to ingratiate yourself with him.” The second woman stated snidely.

“There’s no pretending involved, and I….I’m sorry, I’ve forgotten your names.” Lindsay felt her temper begin to rise.

“I’m Tiffany.” Said the one on the left.

“And I’m Buffy.” The second one supplied.

“And are you friends of Jon’s?” She asked curious as to how they would answer.

“Our dates are longtime BJM staff, and they’ve told us so much about Jon, that we felt we should give you a friendly warning.” Tiffany’s smile didn’t reach her eyes.

“Yes we would hate to see someone like you get hurt.” Buffy added.

“Someone like me.” Lindsay repeated.

None of them saw Richie and David appear in the nearby doorway, or David turn and re-enter the living room only to return moments later with Jon.

“You’re so naïve and gullible I bet you think that Jon really cares about you” Tiffany’s false sweetness was giving Lindsay a toothache.

“Yeah, as if he would.” Buffy sneered. “You do realize that you’re just not in his league don’t you?”

“Oh he may pretend that he cares now, but it won’t last. He’s still recovering from the divorce. Just wait until he goes on tour and is reminded of what he can have.” Tiffany twisted the knife.

“Someone like you, you mean.” Lindsay retorted. The other two just looked at each other and smiled. “And you know him so well, that you know what he’s thinking and feeling. What type of woman he likes, what turns him on.”

“Well, come on let’s face it. You’re no model or bunny sweetheart.” Buffy pointed out. “And if he really cared he would have bought you something a little more valuable than that necklace. Yeesh, a superman logo, how lame is that? No, you better enjoy him now, because your time with him is coming to an end real soon.”

Lindsay reached up to touch her necklace and smiled. “Do you know what this necklace means?”

“Like, Buffy said, it’s the superman logo. It matches his tattoo. That’s just too cute.” Tiffany replied sarcastically.

“You said your dates are longtime BJM staff?” Lindsay clarified. The women both nodded. “Then maybe you should ask them what the significance of this necklace is. “

She started to turn to walk away, then stopped. “I appreciate your wanting to prevent me from getting hurt, but you’ll have to forgive me if I trust Jon’s words over yours. You see, while you think you know him from some stories you’ve heard, I do know him – intimately. I don’t think he cares about me, I know he does. And he continues to prove it to me everyday. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have guests to attend to.”

Turning on her heel she walked away congratulating herself on not losing her cool. Looking up, she saw Richie, David, and Jon standing there, obviously having heard her conversation by the looks on their faces.

Jon walked towards her, smiled and kissed her – very thoroughly. “Nicely done.” He murmured. She smiled back.

“Lindsay we need you to settle an argument.” David came up, putting his arm around her shoulders to urge her into the living room room. She hesitated when she saw Jon and Richie heading for the two women.

Jon looked first Tiffany, then Buffy over very thoroughly. “It ain’t gonna happen. Not with you. Not ever. I prefer women with beauty, brains, and a caring heart.” He looked them over again. “One out of three just doesn’t cut it.” With that he walked away.

Richie tried not to laugh at their stunned expressions. “He is more than just a pretty face you know.” He scowled at them. “You see, we’ve had enough of what you have to offer thrown at us over the years to know that it means absolutely nothing, except a quick lay. Beauty like yours is-literally- only skin deep. We’re not that shallow. If I were you I would find my dates and leave. And you should advise them that in future, they would do better to find women who were smart enough to at least know better than to insult the boss and his girlfriend.” Shaking his head he followed his friends.

Catching up with Lindsay, Jon stopped her so he could see into her eyes. “Are you okay honey?” The concern in his eyes warmed her heart.

She smiled. “I’m fine. In fact, I feel great!”

He chuckled. “Yup, nothing like a little ass kicking to get the adrenaline flowing!”

Laughing, they turned back to their guests.

When midnight arrived they toasted each other and their friends. Kissing her softly Jon gazed down at her. “Happy New Year Lindsay.”

“Happy New Year Jon.” She smiled gently at him, then squealed as Richie grabbed her, kissed her and passed her on.


Later, after all the guests had left, Jon and Lindsay left the guys to their own devices and headed for bed.

Standing in front of the bathroom mirror, Lindsay was brushing her teeth when Jon walked in wearing only pajama pants.

“So that’s where my pajama top went.” He grinned as he met her eyes in the mirror. She grinned back around her toothbrush.

“I think everything went well tonight.” He lightly gripped her waist with both hands, bent and kissed her neck just below her ear. She tilted her head to give him more access. “You handled those bimbos like a pro.”

Leaning forward to spit in the sink she gasped and almost choked when she felt his hands slide under the hem of the pajama top to cup her bottom – she wasn’t wearing panties. Quickly rinsing her mouth and standing upright again, she went to move, but he held her still.

“Uh uh, I think I like you right here.” His voice had deepened and when she met his eyes again in the mirror she could she how dark they had become.

Smiling, she leaned back against him. Together they watched his hands stroke her body over and over, pausing now and then to cup and gently knead her breasts, plucked at her stiffened nipples through the material of the top.

When she would have turned to face him, he shook his head. “Stay like this….watch”

Keeping his gaze on the mirror he raised his hands to slowly undo the buttons on her top. Reaching the bottom he spread the halves wide to bare her to his view. Then he started stroking her all over again.

Watching his hands and feeling their effect at the same time was wrecking havoc with her senses, turning her on more that she thought possible. Her skin felt like every nerve ending was on the surface. She was sure that between the heat from his hands on her front and his chest on her back she was going to burst into flames – or end up a puddle on the floor. Chest heaving, she fought for each breath and shuddered with the sensations he was evoking.

Cupping her breast with one hand he prodded her nipple with his thumb. His other hand smoothed over her abdomen down to the apex of her thighs. Threading his fingers through her curls he stroked her lightly.

Moaning, she let her eyes drift shut. His hands stilled. “No. Keep watching.” He rasped in her ear. Desperate for him to continue she forced her eyes open again. Feeling off balance she reached behind her for an anchor and gripped his thighs, feeling them tighten even more under her hands. Unable to help herself, her hips started to move thrusting against his hand.

He understood her silent request and obliged, reaching deeper and penetrating her with two fingers. Moving them slowly in and out he watched as he pleasured her, his gaze alternating between her face and his hand. The sight of her flushed skin, glazed eyes and heaving breasts, not to mention the feel of her body undulating against him, was slowly eroding his control.

Easing her away from him he pulled the pajama top from her and threw it on the floor. His pants followed. Pressing back against her, he bent her forward slightly until she braced herself with her hands on the vanity counter. Gripping her hip with one hand he positioned himself with the other and nudged inside. She gasped. He held still. “Watch.” His voice was a mere rumble. Shaking, she obeyed. Adjusting his grip on her, he slid slowly inside her, watching her eyes dilate at the sensations bombarding her.

“God you feel good.” He groaned. And he started to move.

At first he watched her body match his rhythm, then his eyes locked on her face cataloguing every nuance of her response.

Fighting through the sensations threatening to overwhelm her, she focused on the scene visible in the mirror in front of her. Her own flushed face and body moving in time with his, his intense look of concentration as he looked at her. Then their eyes met, locked. And he increased his speed.

Both moaning and gasping for breath, they reached for the peak, and reached it together, eyes still locked.

Bracing his legs, he pulled her upright, wrapped his arms around her and held her tight while they both panted and felt the ripples of the aftershocks course through their bodies.

When he finally had the strength, he picked her up and carried her to bed. Curling into him she reached up and caressed his cheek.

“Your way of celebrating holidays just may be the death of me.” She commented.

He chuckled. “Want me to stop?”

“Not on your life!” She managed to look horrified at the thought. Then she smiled and kissed him. “I find I’m becoming addicted.”

“Mmmm. I know the feeling.” He agreed, running his hand down her back from her shoulder to her hip. He pulled her closer. “This may be the best year yet…it’s certainly off to one hell of a start.”

She chuckled, murmured her agreement, then settled her head on his shoulder, her hand over his heart and let sleep overtake her.

No comments: