Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chapter 13

The next day Lindsay was sitting at her desk with a bottle of aspirin and a double latte in front of her holding her head in her hands. The aspirin hadn’t touched her headache and the coffee hadn’t helped either – except that now she was fully awake to enjoy her hangover. The fact that her conversation with Jon the night before kept replaying in her mind was just adding to the pounding in her skull. That was just wonderful. Real smart Linds. Why didn’t you just give him a big push out the door?

Just when she thought her day couldn’t get any worse a knock at her door had her groaning as she lifted her head towards offending noise. If it wouldn’t have hurt her head she would have laughed. Shit!! Just what I need today. I don’t think I have the strength to deal with this right now.

Forcing a smile on her face she rose to greet her unexpected guest. “Hello Dorothea, come on in and have a seat.”

Sitting, Dorothea gave her a sympathetic smile. “I understand you had a bit of a rough night last night.”

Laughing ruefully Lindsay replied. “I guess you could say that. I hesitate to ask, but how did you know?”

“Jon called me this morning.”

Lindsay frowned. “For a man who likes to keep his private life private he has a very big mouth.”

“Don’t be mad at him. He knew you were upset and didn’t know how to help you. He thought maybe I could.”

Deciding there was no use being coy or pretending, Lindsay had to ask. “Forgive me for being blunt, but why would you want to?”

Dorothea smiled. “Just because we’re splitting up doesn’t mean I don’t care about him anymore. I still want him to be happy.” She paused searching for words. “Even if Jon hadn’t asked me to I was planning on coming to speak with you. Jon tells me that you know about Romeo and Sam.” When Lindsay nodded she continued. “I want you to understand my side of it. Jon had been the love of my life since high school. We had our ups and downs like all couples. In case you haven’t noticed yet, Jon can be very intense and more than a little stubborn.” Lindsay nodded in agreement. She’d already stubbed her toe on that one more than once. “His music is his life and sometimes the rest of us get pushed to the side – not for long, but sometimes you have to remind him that there is more to who he is than what he does. His fame can often make having a ‘normal’ life difficult. I think it was easier for me because I was there before the band hit it big. We were all learning to cope together. When the touring slowed down and he branched out into other areas I was in full support. I knew he had to have something to do or he’d go crazy. I had my school and the kids to keep me busy and it wasn’t like he was never home. I’m not sure what happened really. I just know that one morning I woke up and thought I am so tired of living like this. Always having to been on my guard outside of the house for photographers – especially if the kids are with me, having to watch what I say to anyone outside the inner circle because it may end up in the papers the next day, never being able to have a ‘normal’ family vacation, or even be able to go see a movie with my husband without getting mobbed. The houses, the money, meeting celebrities, it was all great in the beginning, but the novelty wore off. I guess I just reached the point where I’d had enough. I wasn’t happy anymore and neither was Jon. Sam represented a ‘regular’ life. That’s what I need at this point in my life. That’s what I want my kids to have. I don’t blame Jon, he’s done the best he can. It’s just not enough for me anymore.”

Realizing how she made things sound, Dorothea rushed to add. “It really isn’t as bad as it sounds, it just takes some getting used to. There are a few tricks to dealing with it. First and foremost, don’t believe half of what you read. In fact, avoid reading the tabloids at all if you can. You have to trust Jon, and believe me you can. When he makes a promise or a commitment to something or someone he keeps it. Second, you have to be somewhat independent. You have a good job which will help. If you become dependent on Jon for everything you’ll never make it. Third, you have to be very patient. He tells me that you’re a fan and that you understand about his passion for his music. That’s a good start. If you like arena football, that will be a bonus. The rest you’ll pick up as you go. I understand that you’ve worked in politics in the past, so you’re actually better prepared that I ever was to deal with the public and the celebrities.”

Thinking she was in the middle of some Twilight Zone episode Lindsay held up her hand. “I’m sorry Dorothea, it may be the hangover, but I still don’t understand why you’re telling me all this.”

Sighing, Dorothea leaned forward. “Look, I don’t know how you feel about him, but I know Jon. He’s happy again, happier than I’ve seen him in a long time. And you’re the cause. You’re being upset last night upset him.” She shrugged. “You found my daughter and brought her back home to me. You were there when she needed you. I owe you one. Plus, it eases my mind knowing that when the kids are with their father there will be someone there to care for them emotionally as well as physically.”

Rising she started for the door and paused. “One other thing. We’ll be moved out by the end of the month. But if you need to move things in sooner, just let me know.”

Stunned, Lindsay didn’t know where to start to respond to that loaded statement. “Wait a minute. You’re moving out of the house?”

Dorothea nodded. “Yes, Jon’s studio is there, the security he needs, plus I want to make a new start away from everything that that house represents.”

“And what makes you think that I’ll be moving in?”

Dorothea just smiled and walked out the door.




Chapter 14

Leaving the office Lindsay delayed going home. She wasn’t ready to face Jon yet. Walking in the park near her apartment she thought about everything Dorothea had said. If she thought for one minute that this relationship was going anywhere then the advice would indeed be invaluable. However, experience had taught Lindsay that life didn’t work that way, at least not for her.

Knowing that she couldn’t put it off any longer she headed home. Approaching her door she could hear a guitar playing softly. Lindsay stood for long minutes staring at her door. She knew she owed him an apology, she just didn’t know what to say. Well at least he’s still here. That’s something. Taking a deep breath she opened the door.

Closing the door behind her she leaned against it for a moment and just looked at him. Other than a slight hesitation in the music he didn’t acknowledge her presence. He wasn’t going to make it easy for her. Letting out her breath, Lindsay walked over and plunked down beside him on the couch. Leaning her head back she closed her eyes while she searched for the right words. When she opened them again she found him watching her.


Raising her hand she caressed his cheek. “I’m sorry. I know none of this is your fault. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you.” She smiled ruefully. “Chalk it up to too much alcohol and a strong urge to keep you all to myself.” For as long as I can anyway.

Catching her hand he pressed a kiss into her palm sending bolts of sensation shooting up her arm. “I’m all yours.”

Setting aside the guitar Jon slid his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer. Laying her head on his shoulder she sighed, closed her eyes and inhaled his presence next to her. One of these days I really need to find out what that cologne is.

Idly trailing his fingertips up and down her upper arm he left goosebumps in his wake. “Did Dorothea come to see you today?”

Tilting her head back to meet his eyes Lindsay stared at him. “Yes. Do you have any idea how weird that was? I actually thought for a minute that my hangover was giving me hallucinations. And I’m pretty sure Miss Manners doesn’t have a category for discussions with your lover’s wife on how to deal successfully with his lifestyle. The whole thing was frankly surreal.” She shook her head in amazement.

He chuckled. “Ex-wife.”

“What?”

“Your lover’s ex-wife.”

“Whatever, I’m sure Dr. Phil would have something interesting to say about the situation.”

“Hey, it’s working for me, is it working for you?” They both laughed.

Bending his arm he brought her even closer and brushed her lips with his. “This is definitely working for me.” She murmured against his mouth.

“How’s your headache?”

“It’s down to a dull ache. How about making me forget about it?”

“I’ll do my best.” He promised as he stood, pulled her up, scooped her up and carried her into the bedroom.

Laying her on the bed he proceeded to slowly undress her, exploring each bit of skin thus revealed first with his fingertips, then with his mouth until he had her stripped bare, gasping and writhing beneath him. When she would have returned the favour, he shook his head. “No. Just lie back and let me love you.”

Standing, he moved to where she could watch him as, piece by slow piece he removed his clothing. Her mind provided the music as her libido fired up even more at the display he put on. My God this man makes me hot!

Returning to her side Jon took both of her hands and raised them above her head, gently pinning them there with one hand, leaving her helpless and unable to hide from his gaze – or his touch.

With his free hand he stroked down her body, at first so lightly she could barely feel it, then, as her skin became sensitized, more firmly. Unable to lie still she began to undulate, her body arching into his touch, silently begging for more. Chuckling, he obliged, cupping first one breast, then the other, kneading gently, enjoying her cries of pleasure. Bending down he touched just the tip of his tongue to the hard kernels of her nipples, lightly circling. He sensed as much as felt the shudder that racked her body as her spine arched involuntarily.

“Jon, please.” She gasped. In response he drew the nipple he was teasing deep into his mouth and suckled. Lindsay screamed. He then gave her other breast the same treatment. At the same time his hand glided over her stomach to settle in the juncture of her thighs, gently nudging her restless legs wider. Drowning in the sensations bombarding her Lindsay mindlessly followed his urging. The first touch of his fingers caressing her most intimate flesh almost pushed her over the edge. Sensing she was on the brink he retreated, caressing her soothingly to calm her. As soon as her heart rate stabilized, he started again. This time he pushed her legs even further apart until he could fit between and slide them over his shoulders. Arms freed she reached for him, but he grasped her hands with his, linking their fingers tightly. The feel of his tongue gliding and probing her humid flesh had her body arching again. Ignoring her pleas for him to stop he teased and tasted as he willed. Finally, when he’d decided that he’d tortured her enough, he penetrated her with his tongue as deep as he could go. Screaming, she went over the edge.

Before she had a chance to recover he rose up, and fitting himself to her still pulsing opening he filled her with one slow thrust of his hips. Breathless, she could do nothing but moan hoarsely. He leaned down and captured her mouth thrusting deep with his tongue. With her legs still over his shoulders she was helpless to do anything but endure as with a slow rocking of his hips, she was thrown back into the storm. This time they went over the edge together.

When Lindsay next became aware of anything Jon was settling her head on his shoulder and cuddling her close to his side. Boneless, unable and unwilling to protest she sighed in satiation and gave herself up to the oblivion that beckoned. Brushing a last kiss over her forehead he followed her.



Chapter 15

The next couple of weeks were fairly calm. The cases at the office were pretty straight forward robberies, B & E’s, nothing overly exciting. Her nights were a different matter however. They were beyond anything she’d ever even dreamed. When she arrived home Jon would be waiting for her. They would either prepare dinner together or order in. Then Jon would play her whatever he had written that day, discussing the meaning behind the songs and asking her opinion. She even helped him when he got stuck for a word. It had become her favorite time of day, well, almost. When it was time for bed and they adjourned to the bedroom it was like entering heaven. Each time was better than the last. Every night Lindsay had to pinch herself to convince herself that all of this was really happening to her. And every morning she prayed it would last just a little bit longer.

The only tension came when Jon tried to get Lindsay to go out in public with him. Despite his best arguments she flatly refused.

“Why won’t you go? Are you ashamed to be seen with me?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. It’s just too soon. The paparazzi are constantly following you waiting for something to happen. I simply refuse to be tabloid fodder.” She answered stubbornly.

“Well, I have to go.” He replied exasperated.

“So go. I’m not stopping you.”

“I’m not going alone.” He threatened.

Swallowing the lump in her throat she nodded in acknowledgement.

“Don’t you care?”

“Of course I care. But I’m not going to be a dog in the manger either. I can’t expect you to stay home just because I’m not ready to have my life put under a microscope.”

He sighed in defeat…..and took David.



One night they were cuddled on the couch laughing as Lindsay told him about a rather inept burglar that they had caught that day.

“So this guy steals their jewelry and electronics, helps himself to some leftovers he found in the fridge and then proceeds to leave a note telling her how to improve her meat loaf. And he signs it! When the cops asked him why he signed the note he said he wanted her to be able to find him because she obviously needed some new recipes.”

Shaking his head and chuckling Jon suddenly remembered. “Oh, by the way, Mom and Dad are having a family dinner on Sunday. Tony’s coming in from California to produce some show in the city, so Mom thought it was a good chance to get everyone together.”

“Are you taking the kids?”

“Yeah, and Mom asked if you would bring a salad.”

“You mean she wants you to bring a salad.”

“No, I mean she wants you to bring a salad.”

“Tell you what. We’ll compromise. I’ll make the salad. You can take it.”

Pulling away, he turned to face her. His frustration was easy to read in his face. “What’s your objection this time? There won’t be any reporters or photographers there. Just my family. What do you think they’re going to do to you? Tie you down and torture you to give up your secrets? Stand you in a corner, point their fingers at you and whisper behind your back? What is it you’re so afraid of?”

“Cute. This isn’t about me, or at least not just about me. You have four kids dealing with the breakup of their family. Their world has been turned upside down and inside out. What they need now is support and some time and peace to let things settle while they learn to cope with all of these changes in their life. The last thing they need is someone else coming on the scene causing yet another new situation for them to deal with.”

Unable to argue with her logic he gave up. Standing, he headed for the door. “I’m going for a run.”

For the first time in weeks, Lindsay fell asleep alone.

No comments: