Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chapter 37

Jon surveyed the breakfast table the next morning. “Honey, will you pass me the syrup please.”

“Sure” Lindsay passed it down.

Jesse turned to his dad with a confused look on his face. “Dad?”

“Yes?”

“How come you don’t call Lindsay ‘babe’? You always call women babe, but I’ve never heard you call Lindsay that. You call her honey, sweetheart, darling, but never babe. Why not?”

Lindsay choked, Jon grinned and muffled snickers could be heard around the table.

“Because she doesn’t like it.” Jon answered.

“Why not?” Jesse asked.

“Ask her.” Jon was trying not to laugh.

Jesse turned and looked at Lindsay waiting for an answer. So did the rest of them.

Blushing, she decided to answer him honestly. “For exactly the reason you pointed out. He calls a lot of women babe. There’s nothing unique about it. Endearments should make the other person feel special and separate from all the others. Make sense?”

Jesse nodded and went back to eating.

Glancing around the table she caught a couple surprised, but thoughtful looks and Jon winked and toasted her with his juice.

The rest of the morning was taken up with getting the guys packed up and on their way home. They would all be back as soon as the rehearsal schedule was set for the upcoming tour.

Richie was the last to leave. Standing beside the limo that would take him to the airport and clutching the bag of cookies Lindsay was sending with him he shook hands with Jon. “Hang on to this one. She’s a keeper.” He murmured. Then he turned to her. Hugging her he kissed her cheek. “Take care of him.” He whispered. She nodded.

Walking back into the house Jon put his arm around her shoulders. “What do you want to do today?”

“After lunch, I’m going to find a comfortable quiet spot to finally make a dent in this new book I’ve been trying to read.” She stated. He looked surprised. “Jesse needs some man time with his dad.” She explained. “What do you feel like for supper?”

“Oats.” He grinned. She swatted his chest and headed for the kitchen to make lunch.



Much later she was curled up in a large comfy chair in a large room that looked out at the back of the house. She wasn’t really sure what the room was supposed to be, it was what she imagined a “morning room” looked like what the historical romance books that she read talked about. Whatever, there was good light and the furniture was surprisingly comfortable.

She was so engrossed in the novel that she didn’t hear him enter the room. She nearly jumped out of her skin when she felt his breath and heard his voice in her ear.

“There you are….ooops sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” He sounded amused. “I’m going to take Jesse back now.”

“Dad, I can’t find her anywhere…..oh good you did.” Jesse smiled as he joined them.

Rising she walked with them out to the car. Once there Jesse turned, hesitated, then hugged her. “Thanks for everything.”

“Anytime Pal.” Once again she was fighting back tears. Looking up she caught Jon watching the two of them. The warmth and happiness she saw there almost caused her to lose the battle.


When Jon returned he tracked her down in the kitchen and wrapped her in his arms, burying his face in her neck. “Thank you. We both needed that.”

As he straightened she smiled up at him and kissed him lightly. “You’re welcome. Are you hungry?”

He nodded, missing the glint in her eyes as he moved to sit at his place at the table. When she set the bowl in front of him he just stared at it for a minute. Then he started to laugh. “What is this?”

“Oatmeal.” She answered



Chapter 38

After two weeks of calm, she finally managed to talk Jon into reassigning her shadow. “You know it’s really a waste of Kevin’s time and your money. He would be better used with you. You’re the one running all over the place these days.” She wasn’t complaining, really she wasn’t but she missed him. He was deep into tour preparation, and meetings dealing with the Soul and his myriad charity causes, trying to deal with everything before the tour started.

He sighed. “I know. I’m sorry honey, it’s just that if I don’t deal with this now it won’t get done before I leave on tour. Besides, with Thanksgiving coming up, if I get it done I can take a few days to be with my family.”

“I know, and I understand, I do, it’s just that…..I miss you, that’s all. But don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine.” She’d have to be, this was just the beginning. She had better get used to it. In the meantime, she’d just have to suck it up and deal.

“I miss you too sweetheart. I’ll be home Friday night for sure.” He promised. “Will you be there waiting for me?” His voice had dropped an octave and slid over her nerve endings like warm honey.

“Always.” She promised, her voice almost a whisper.

“I wish.” He muttered.

“Jon,” She warned.

“I know, I know.” He paused. “Will you be wearing that negligee that matches our eyes?” He asked hopefully.

She laughed low. “We’ll have to see how generous I’m feeling.”

Seeing the button on her phone flashing, she reluctantly ended the conversation. “I’ve got to go honey, I’ve got another call. Will you call me later?” She asked wistfully.

He laughed softly. “Absolutely. I’ll talk to you later. Take care honey. I love you.”

“I love you too Jon.”

Hanging up she sighed and pushed the flashing button.

“Hello?”

“Hi Lindsay, it’s Carol.”

“Hi Carol, how are you?”

“I’m fine thanks. Have you talked to Jon lately?” She asked.

“Yes, actually I was on the phone with him when you called.” Lindsay answered.

“Is he going to be home for Thanksgiving do you know?”

“That’s the plan. He’s hoping he can get all these meetings in and get things sorted out so that he can stay home for a few days.” Lindsay replied.

“Good. Tony’s coming home too, so we’ll have everyone together. Dorothea has even consented for us to have the kids for dinner, so they can spend some time with their dad before the tour starts.” Carol informed her.

“That’s great. Jon will be really happy to hear that.”

“By the way, you’re in charge of dessert.” Carol said.

“Ok, how many people are we looking at and are there any traditions, or preferences that I should be aware of?” Lindsay responded without hesitation.

Carol smiled. “Well, Joe and Joyce and their clan are coming so I think we’re looking at about 20 people. No traditions really, just pumpkin pie, something for the kids, you know that sort of thing.”

“Ok, I’ll take care of it. Anything else I can do?” Lindsay asked.

“No, I think we’ll have everything we need.” Carol said with satisfaction.


The week leading up to Thanksgiving Lindsay broke her own rule. She stayed at the estate the entire week. She justified it to herself by reminding herself that with all the baking she needed to do the facilities were better at Jon’s than at her apartment. The kitchen was huge and so was the fridge. As long as she left the kitchen clean and tidy, Mrs. Henderson didn’t mind her invading her domain. Jon noticed, but wisely said nothing and just enjoyed.

Packing everything up to take to Jon’s parents, she started to worry that she didn’t have enough.

Jon walked in to help her carry the food to the car. “Good God! You’ve got enough food here to feed an army!”

“Well, there’s going to be a small army to feed.”

“What is all of this?”

“Pumpkin pies, some tarts and cupcakes for the little ones, some cookies for afternoon snacks, and the canolies, that’s all.” She defended herself.

“Mmmm.” He licked his lips. He knew all about the canolies. Lindsay had never made the Italian pastries before, and was afraid that they wouldn’t turn out, so she made Jon her guinea pig. He was sure he’d put on ten pounds before she was satisfied with the result.

Loading the car, they picked up the kids and soon arrived at the senior Bongiovi’s.



Chapter 39

Trooping into the house they quickly realized that they were the last to arrive. Carol met them at the door and introduced Lindsay to Jon’s Uncle Joe and his wife, Joyce. While Jon was deep in conversation with his uncle, Matt approached with another man.

“Lindsay, this is our brother Tony. Tony, this is Jon’s girlfriend Lindsay. I told you he was robbing the cradle this time.”

She raised her eyebrows in surprise. “I’m still older than you..infant.” Turning to Tony she put out her hand. “Nice to meet you Tony.” This brother looked a little bit more like Jon – the shape of his face, the cut of his jaw – but was darker.

Before Tony could answer, Matt piped up. “You are? What about Tony?” He asked almost eagerly.

She shook her head. “Sorry. He’s older than me. You’re still the only baby.”

Tony chuckled, took her hand, then pulled her close for a hug. “I am so happy to meet the woman that put the light back in my big brother’s eyes.”

“Hey! Get your hands off my woman bro.” Jon mock growled. “I’m not sharing this one.”

A little shocked by his comment, when Tony released her she looked back and forth between them. “You used to…” She put her hands up in a defensive gesture. “Nevermind I really don’t want to know.” The brothers all laughed.

Half an hour later, Lindsay was walking by the couch where the brothers were sitting watching a football game with the rest of the men. Even Jesse was sitting on the floor by his dad.

Jon reached out and grabbed her hand as she walked by. “Babe, would you grab us some beers please?” He asked almost absently.

Lindsay stared at him, then realized he didn’t even know what he’d said. Jesse had heard him though and turned, eyes wide to see Lindsay’s reaction. She smiled. “Sure thing…..Buttercup.”

Jon’s head snapped in her direction as he stared at her in disbelief. The room had erupted in laughter. She raised a brow at him. Suddenly it hit him. He raised his hands in surrender. “Sorry, sorry, I won’t do it again.” He grinned sheepishly.

Walking into the kitchen she headed for the fridge. Jesse came running in still laughing. “Grandma, Lindsay just called Dad Buttercup! You should have seen the look on his face.”

Carol turned to look at Lindsay.

Lindsay shrugged as she popped the lids of the beers. “He called me babe.”

Carol looked at her for a moment, then laughed. “Good for you!”


Dinner conversation turned to Jon’s upcoming tour.

“When does it start?” Uncle Joe asked.

“January.” Jon answered. “If I can decide on arrangements for Prayer, and which extra songs to have the guys prepared for.” He shook his head ruefully. “We’re getting so many hits that the fans want to hear, in order to get in the new songs the shows are getting longer and longer. It’s wearing me out.”

Lindsay looked at him. “Do you want my opinion?”

He nodded.

“My favorite version of Prayer starts with just you a capella, with your foot hitting the floor to the beat. Or you and Richie could start it acoustic, then plug in part way through. As for other songs, for a change you could throw in more from These Days and some of the lesser known songs from the early albums. Like during the HAND tour when you did Blood on Blood, Living in Sin, and Wild is the Wind. Not too many because the younger fans don’t know them, but they are a real treat for the older fans. I’ll give you a list of my favorites, and maybe, if you want to really make me happy, you’ll play one of them for me when I’m at the show.” He grinned at her. “As for you getting worn out, if you need a break, let Richie sing more. I know a lot of fans that would love that.”

Carol turned to her, surprised. “You’re a fan!” Lindsay nodded. “So you’re ok with all of this?” She murmured.

Lindsay shrugged. “I’ll miss him like crazy, but it’s a big part of who he is. I would never ask him to give up what makes him, him and what he loves so much. I’ll just have to get to as many shows as I can, and try to make our time together quality time.”

“I was thinking of letting Richie sing Wanted more.” Jon admitted.

Lindsay hesitated. “As long as you stay on the stage. That one is a definite DD song.”

“DD?” Joyce asked.

“Dynamic Duo.” Lindsay answered and blushed a little.

“I thought that was Batman and Robin.” Joe stated looking a little confused.

“Not in Joviland.” Lindsay grinned.


After dinner Jon was sitting back watching Lindsay being absorbed into his family, when his mother sat down beside him. They both watched as Stephanie approached Lindsay where she was in conversation with Joyce. Stephanie was trying to French braid her own hair and had got partway done and got stuck. Without breaking the conversation, Lindsay finished it for her. Stephanie felt her hair with her hand, smiled broadly at Lindsay, gave her a hug and took off to find her cousins. Next, Jesse came up looking for batteries for his hand held game. Reaching for her purse on the table next to her, she pulled some out and handed them to him. Grinning, he thanked her and headed for a chair. Jake came up with tears running down his face and a toy in two parts in his hands. Bending down on one knee she put it back together and wiped the tears from his face. Smiling again he kissed her cheek and ran off waving the toy in the air. Standing again she resumed her conversation with Joyce. Feeling a tug on her pantleg, without looking she reached down and picked Romeo up and cuddled him.

“She’s good with the kids.” Carol observed.

Jon nodded. “They really seem to like her.”

“That’s important.” Carol noted. “And she understands and accepts you and your crazy lifestyle.”

Jon nodded again.

“And she makes you happy?” she asked.

“Very.” he looked at his mother. “What are you getting at Mom?”

She smiled at him. “I just want my boys to be happy. I thought we had you settled, but I could see how miserable you were the last few years. Don’t get me wrong, I love Dorothea, but she never really understood what your music, and all it entails means to you. I think Lindsay does. Not only that, but she loves it too. She’s a little sad that you’re going to be away even more with the tour, but she accepts it as part of who you are, and wouldn’t have it any other way. That’s love. I think you should hold on to this one. Fame and fortune are all fine, but it’s not worth a damn if you don’t have someone to love and who loves you to come home to and share it with. I like Lindsay. I have a feeling she’ll go the distance. I guess what I’m trying to say, son, is I think you’ve got a winner here. Good job.”

“Thanks Mom. I think so too.” He grinned.

“Jon” Lindsay appeared in front of him, a sleeping Romeo in her arms. “I think we should head home. Jake’s out cold too in the living room.”

He nodded and stood up. “I’ll get him.”

Lindsay turned to Carol. “Thanks for everything.”

“No,” Carol said. “Thank you.”

Saying their goodbye’s, they gathered up the kids and headed home.

No comments: