Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chapter 27

Lindsay was heading back to her office after lunch the next day when Julie stopped her.

“It sounds like Jon Bon Jovi has a new girlfriend.” She was waving a paper at Lindsay.

“Oh? What are the gossips saying?” Lindsay tried not to show how interested she really was.

“Just that he and the guys were at his brother’s place last night and Jon had a girl with him. They say that by the way he treated her it was obvious they were more than just friends.” Julie reported.

“Do they say who she is?”

“Nope, nobody knows…..yet, but you know these reporters…they snoop around until they find out. Did you pick up on anything when you’ve talked to him?” Julie asked eagerly.

Lindsay didn’t want to lie to her, but a thought just occurred to her and she wanted to talk to Jon before she let the cat out of the bag. “I’ll have to think about it. I’ll let you know if I come up with something.”

Entering her office she reached for the phone, but it rang before she could pick it up.

“Hello?”

“Hi, honey, how are you?” There was concern in his voice.

“You must be psychic. I was just about to call you. But you first, is something wrong?”

He hesitated. “No, I just wanted to see how you were doing today.”

Lindsay laughed. “I can see that I’m not going to have to worry about you lying to me…you’re horrible at it. What you really want to know is if I’ve seen the paper and how I’m taking it.”

He chuckled. “Yeah, but I can tell you’re ok.”

“Yes I am, but I just thought of something which is why I was going to call you. What if the kids see it?”

“It’s ok, I talked to Stephanie and Jesse yesterday while you were sleeping. They were prepared. They’re planning a day for us this weekend if you don’t have to work – just you, me, and the kids so that everyone can start to get to know each other.”

“How did Stephanie take the news?” Lindsay asked.

“She was a little surprised, but she didn’t seem to be upset, why?”

“I was afraid that she might be angry that I didn’t say something to her that night we went out. I’m hoping that she doesn’t think that I lied to her.”

“I don’t think she does, but the two of you can discuss it this weekend.”

“Yeah, I guess.” She hesitated. “Jon, I need some advice. I can’t decide the best way to handle this.”

“What are you thinking?”

“Well, the vultures don’t know who I am yet. Should we wait until they figure it out, or should I tell my friends and colleagues and get it over with? You know better than I do what they’re capable of. Should we talk to Paul?”

“Paul already called me this morning when he saw the papers. They’re ready with the standard ‘no comment’ and that my private life is private until we tell them differently. As for the rest, honey, it’s really whatever you’re comfortable with. If the vultures find you they will most likely follow you to work and try to talk to your friends. Plus, will Julie and the others be upset that you didn’t tell them?” The knot that had formed in his chest when he saw the papers loosened considerably. Not only did she seem to be taking it well, she was including him in her decision making – definitely a good sign.

“That’s what I was thinking too, and if the vultures are going to show up here, I really should warn my boss.” She frowned.

“Do you think he’s going to have a problem with this?” He had heard the strange note in her voice.

“No, as a matter of fact I think he’s expecting it.”

“What? Why would he?”

“I don’t know, but you remember that night after that horrible crime scene and you came to take me home?”

“Yeah, I saw you walk out together.”

“Yeah. He was concerned that I was going home alone. Then he saw you and said ‘never mind I can see that you will be well taken care of’. Jon, I could barely recognize you, but not only did Brian know it was you, he knew that you were there for me!” She still couldn’t fathom how.

“Wow, he’s good” Jon was impressed. “And with the police station next door I won’t have to worry about your safety.”

“Well, wish me luck, I’m about to spill the beans. If you hear a big scream, don’t worry, that will just be Julie. She’s either going to hate me or try to tear me apart in her excitement.”

He chuckled. “Want me to come protect you?”

“No, then she’d try and tear you apart…and I like your parts just where they are. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Ok, see ya hon.” He was still chuckling.

Heading down the hallway Lindsay decided that if she wanted to tell Brian herself, she should tell him first. Once Julie knew the whole office would know. Julie was a lot of fun and could keep secrets regarding the office and its cases, but when it came to the entertainment world she was the National Enquirer’s dream come true.

Reaching Brian’s office she knocked and looked in the open doorway. He was reading a newspaper, but looked up at her knock and waved her in.

“Hi Lindsay, have a seat.” He didn’t give her a chance to say anything. He motioned to the paper on his desk. “Got something you want to tell me?”

She stared at him, stunned. “How did you know?”

He smiled. “I’ve spent a long time watching and learning to read people. I knew from that first visit to his house that you were attracted to him and that things were not good between him and his wife. I just sat back and watched. I knew from the way he looked at you the day we brought his daughter home, that he was feeling more that gratitude. I also knew that if there was a chance of the lab being affected by any of it that you would tell me.”

She shook her head in amazement. “Yes, and that’s why I’m here. So far, the paparazzi don’t know who I am. But they’ll search until they find me. Then they may come here. I just wanted you to know ahead of time and not get blindsided by it.”

Brian nodded. “I appreciate that. I’ll alert security to be on the lookout. Don’t worry they won’t get to you here.”

“Thanks, hopefully it won’t last long. They’ll get bored and find someone else to harass.” Rising she left his office.

One down. Reaching reception Lindsay had to wait until Julie got off the phone. While she waited she reread the article in the gossip rag on the desk.

“Hey Lindsay what’s up?” Julie inquired as she hung up the phone.

“When you asked me before about this,” she waved at the paper, “I wasn’t completely honest with you. I do know who Jon is seeing.”

“You do? Who? And why didn’t you tell me?!” Julie was more than a little excited.

“I didn’t tell you because I had to talk to Jon first. He’s got four kids that have to be considered.” She paused. “The woman is…me.” She waited for the explosion.

There was silence for a long moment then Julie laughed. “Yeah right, sure, good one Lindsay.” When Lindsay didn’t laugh and admit she was joking Julie looked confused. “But the other night after the concert, backstage, you hardly spoke to him.”

Lindsay smiled wryly. “That’s because I was pissed at him for inviting us backstage and risking exposing our relationship.” She sighed. “To make a long story short, I didn’t want this” another wave at the paper “to happen and he knew it and I was angry. Anyway, we’ve worked that all out, but now the story is out. They don’t know who I am yet, but when they find out they will be all over this place and my friends. I wanted you to be prepared.”

Julie took a minute to process everything, then looked hurt. “Why didn’t you tell me? I thought we were friends. You didn’t trust me.”

“I’m sorry Julie. It’s not that I didn’t trust you. I didn’t tell anyone. It took me quite awhile to accept that this relationship was real. I mean, my God, he’s a rock star and I’m just…me. If it makes you feel any better you’re the first one I’ve told.” That’s not a lie, Jon told the guys and his family, and Brian figured it out for himself.

It took another minute before Julie nodded in acceptance and then grinned. “So you’re really dating him? OH MY GOD Lindsay you are soooo lucky! When did it start? What’s he really like? Will he be coming by here often? OH MY GOD I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!” She grabbed Lindsay, hugged her and jumped up and down in her excitement.

Laughing Lindsay tried to calm her down, but she wouldn’t settle until Lindsay had told her the whole story – the edited version.

“Don’t worry. I won’t let the reporters in the door, and I won’t tell them anything without checking with you first.” Julie promised.

“Thanks Julie, I really appreciate it.” And she headed back to her office. Two down. I’d better call Mom.




Chapter 26

Saturday morning Lindsay had just finished dressing when her phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Lindsay? When are you coming? We’re all at the house waiting for you!”

“Stephanie?”

“Yeah it’s me, we’re just about finished breakfast and – ow! Jesse quit poking me with your fork! We can’t decide what we’re doing today until you get here. Yes, Jake I’ll ask her. Jake wants to know if you will play Candyland with him. Dad, Romeo’s gotta pee!”

Lindsay struggled not to laugh as she listened to what was happening at the other end of the line. Her oldest brother had four kids so she was familiar with conversations like this.

“I’m on my way and tell Jake that I love boardgames and Candyland is one of my favorites.”

“Great! Please hurry, these guys are such…boys!”

“I hear you. Hang tight, I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Ok, bye…JESSE KNOCK IT OFF!” And the line disconnected.

Still chuckling Lindsay gathered up her jacket, purse, and keys and headed for the door.

Turning into the driveway she blew out a breath as she waited for the gates to open. She hadn’t slept well the night before, worrying about how this day would go. It didn’t help that she had slept alone because the kids had come last night. I think I’d rather face an army of reporters than these four kids. What if they don’t like me? Here I am worrying about public opinion ending this relationship, when the opinion of these four could end it so much faster!

When she approached the door it opened before she reached it. Lindsay found herself face to face with a dark haired boy who looked to be about eleven or so.

“Are you Lindsay?” he asked looking at her closely.

“Yes, I am. And you must be Jesse.”

He nodded and turned his head to yell into the house. “SHE’S HERE!” He stepped back to let her in the door.

Turning to shut the door behind her she took another deep breath as she heard feet running towards them.

“Lindsay!” Stephanie came first giving Lindsay a big hug. “I thought you’d never get here!”

Lindsay smiled and hugged her back. Releasing her, she straightened only to feel a tug on her pantleg. Glancing down she looked into a pair of familiar blue eyes. She crouched down until she was at his level. “You must be Jake.”

He nodded, a little unsure. “Daddy says you’re going to be around a lot and he wants us to be friends.”

“I’d like that too.”

“Uncle Richie says you make the best chocolate chip cookies.” He said wistfully.

She smiled. “Do you like chocolate chip cookies?”

He nodded solemnly.

“Would you like to help me make some later?” She offered.

His face lit up and he nodded. Before she could stand up she was almost knocked over by an out of control missile. “Me..me…me too!”

Catching her balance she looked down at the missile, which turned out to be a blonde haired toddler. “Ok, me too, you can help too.” She laughed. Feeling hands grab her to help her to her feet she looked up.

“My turn.” Lifting her to her feet he gathered her into his arms. “Hello.”

“Hi.” She murmured. When he bent to kiss her she stopped him with a hand on his chest and a sharp glance towards the kids. Smiling he ignored the pressure of her hand and pressed his lips briefly to hers.

“Yuck, mushy stuff.” This from Jesse.

“Tell me that in a few years kiddo.” Jon chuckled. Putting his arm around Lindsay’s waist he herded everyone into the den.

The morning was spent playing various board games and answering questions. Over lunch they discussed activities for the afternoon and evening.

“Why don’t we rent a couple movies for tonight?” Stephanie suggested.

“Sure, we could do that. What’s everybody want for supper? If we need to hit the grocery store we might as well hit the video store at the same time.” Lindsay responded.

“Pizza.”

“Tacos”

“Spaghetti.”

“No way, I don’t like canned spaghetti.” Jesse complained.

“What? Sacrilege!” Lindsay exclaimed. “Who eats canned spaghetti?”

“You mean you know how to make real spaghetti sauce?” Jesse looked hopeful. “We haven’t had real sauce since the last family dinner at Grandma’s.”

“With garlic bread?” Jake asked.

“And Caesar salad?” Jon asked with the same hopeful expression as Jesse.

Lindsay laughed. “Ok, you got it.”

“Cookies!” Romeo added.

“And cookies.” Lindsay agreed.

After raiding the cupboards and making a grocery list, Lindsay gathered up car keys and purse and looked at the kids. “Who’s coming with me?”

“I will.” Stephanie spoke up immediately.

“How about you Jesse, do want to come help pick out the movies?” Lindsay asked. Jesse had been very quiet all morning and she was hoping to draw him out a little.

He hesitated. “Ok.”

When they returned Lindsay started the sauce and got the kids started on the cookies. Jesse sat back with Jon at first and watched, but when Lindsay seasoned the sauce she got him to taste test it. Nodding his approval he started to relax a little and by the time the first cookies were coming out of the oven he was first in line, declaring himself the official taste tester.

Jon had sat and watched the whole process without saying much except to offer his opinion on whether there was enough chocolate chips in the dough. Now he stood and came up behind Lindsay and reached around her to grab a cookie. Squeezing her waist with his free hand he murmured in her ear. “Nicely done.” When she looked at him questionly he nodded faintly in Jesse’s direction. She smiled.

They were sitting in the den waiting for the sauce to cook when Stephanie asked Lindsay to go for a walk. Grabbing their jackets they headed out the back door.

When they were out of earshot of the house Lindsay turned to Stephanie. “What’s on your mind Steph?”

“What are your intentions towards my father?” she blurted out. “I mean are you going to marry him?”

Lindsay choked. “Well, I honestly don’t know. We’re not at that point yet. I’m still trying to get a handle on dating him. I can tell you that I like being with him and I care about him very much.”

“Good, ‘cause I think he really likes you too.” She looked down and kicked at a stone on the path.

“What made you ask about marriage?” Lindsay asked softly.

Stephanie hesitated a long moment. “I think Mom and Sam are talking about it.”

“And how do you feel about that?”

She shrugged. And then her bravado disappeared and Lindsay saw the hurt and confused child underneath the maturing girl. “Why does it have to be so soon? Why can’t it just be us for awhile?” Then, “Why couldn’t she love Daddy anymore?”

“Oh sweetie, come here.” Lindsay held her while she cried. When the tears stopped they walked to a bench and sat down. “Do you want to know what I think?” Lindsay asked carefully, not wanting to push. Stephanie nodded. “I think that a part of your mom will always love your dad. They just don’t make each other happy anymore. As for her and Sam,….sweetie, why don’t you sit down and talk to your mom. Tell her that you need some time before she makes more changes in your life. I bet if you do she’ll listen.”

Stephanie sniffed. “Do you really think so?”

“Yes, I do. I think it’s worth a try anyway. What do you think?”

“I guess.” She sounded so forlorn that Lindsay’s heart went out to her.

They sat there for a while longer until they started to get cold. Then they raced each other to the house. Walking back into the den Jon looked at Stephanie’s face and quickly turned to Lindsay who smiled as she passed behind his chair and squeezed his shoulder reassuringly.



Chapter 27

After dinner Lindsay gave Romeo and Jake a bath and got them ready for bed while Jon and Stephanie made popcorn and Jesse served the drinks and arranged blankets and pillows for a comfortable movie night. Taking a seat at the end of a couch, Lindsay made herself comfortable, while Jesse, Jake and Romeo sprawled on blankets on the floor.

Walking into the room, Stephanie handed the boys a bowl of popcorn, took hers and curled up with a blanket in her favorite chair. Jon handed Lindsay the bowl he carried, plopped a pillow in her lap, flopped down on the couch and put his head on the pillow. Looking for someplace to set the bowl Lindsay shrugged and set it on his chest.

Halfway through the first movie Romeo was out cold. By the end of it Jake had joined him. During intermission Lindsay cleaned up the bowls while Jon carried them up to bed.

Grinning, Lindsay took the opportunity to stretch out on the couch. When Jon returned and saw her he just walked over, rolled her on her side and laid down behind her on the wide couch. Sliding his arm over her waist he pulled her back against him and held her securely.

By the end of the second movie, Stephanie and Jesse were both fighting to stay awake.

“Ok, you two, bed time.” Jon announced.

Yawning, they both got up. “’Night.” Jesse mumbled and started for the stairs. He stopped and turned back. “Lindsay?”

“Yes?”

“Thanks for everything today.”

“You’re welcome sweetie. Sleep tight.”

Stephanie came over kissed her father good night and gave Lindsay a hug. “Thanks Lindsay.”

“You’re welcome, ‘night sweetie.”

When they were alone, Jon grabbed her and nuzzled her ear. “Wanna neck?” He suggested playfully.

Laughing she wrapped her arms around his neck. “But what if we get caught? I feel like a teenager in my parents house.”

“Are you trying to warn me that you’re going to get me all hot and bothered and then leave me high and dry?”

“Well, I’m not going upstairs with you, so unless you can guarantee that no one will come down those stairs, you’re out of luck tonight.”

He groaned and sat up. “Ok, I guess you’re right.” Running his hands through his hair he looked down at her. “What’s up with Stephanie?”

“She’s at an age where her mind and body are torn between the child she was and the adult she’s trying to become. Throw in all the changes going on around her right now and you have a very confused girl looking for some stability. She just needed a shoulder to cry on and a sounding board. She thinks that Dorothea and Sam are talking about getting married. I hope they hold off for a while. She’s not ready to deal with more change right now.”

He nodded. “You’re doing a wonderful job with her by the way.”

“Thank you. I think Jesse’s going to be a harder nut to crack.” She sighed.

“You made a good start today, but you’re right. He is more reserved. The little ones love you already.” He smiled.

She smiled back. “It’s easier at that age. You can win them over with cookies.” They both laughed.

Yawning, she stood up. “Sorry honey, but I didn’t sleep very well last night and if I don’t get moving I’ll fall asleep on the way home.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay here tonight? I don’t want you getting in an accident because you’re too tired.”

“I’m sure. The kids aren’t ready to find me here in the morning. Besides, this way you can all talk about me over breakfast.” She yawned again.

He chuckled. “Ok, get some sleep. I didn’t sleep well last night either, and I’m not expecting much better tonight.” His lips twisted. “I don’t sleep well without you beside me.”

He walked her to the door and helped her with her jacket. Pulling her close he kissed her deeply. “Drive safe. I’ll see you tomorrow night.”



The next night when Jon arrived at her apartment, Lindsay didn’t beat around the bush. “Well? What’s the verdict? Did I pass?”

“What makes you think we talked about you today?” He teased.

“Don’t tease me. I’ve been going nuts all day wondering what was going on at your house.” She pouted.

He chuckled and hugged her. “Relax. You passed. You already know how Stephanie feels. Jesse said you were ‘nice I guess’ and a good cook, Jake said you made good cookies, and Romeo thinks you smell nice -‘like chocolate’.”

“I guess the way to a man’s heart really is through his stomach.” She laughed.

“A boy’s heart maybe. A man’s heart pathway starts a little lower.” He leered at her.

She chuckled. “Are you hungry?”

“Mmmm” was the only answer she got as he started nibbling on her ear. Shivering, she tilted her head to give him greater access. Accepting her invitation he slid his open mouth down her neck to suck on the network of nerves that met where her neck joined her shoulder. She shuddered in response. Suddenly pulling away she stood, grabbed his hand and led him into the bedroom.

Stopping beside the bed, she turned to face him. Stepping close she reached up to slide her hands into his hair, massaging his scalp. Raising on tiptoe she covered his lips with hers, sucking his bottom lip into her mouth where she gently raked it with her teeth.

Groaning, he reached for her and pulled her close against his hard body. Taking control of the kiss he thrust his tongue into her mouth tasting her thoroughly. He ran his hands up and down her back urging her even closer.

Moaning, she slid her hands down his chest to his waist. Reaching for the bottom of his shirt she slipped her hands underneath and slowly pushed up caressing his ribs as she went. Raising his arms he released her lips to allow her to remove the shirt completely. Before he could recapture her mouth she lowered her head and captured one male nipple between her teeth and rasped lightly causing him to arch his back in response.

Easing her back slightly he grasped the bottom of her sweater and in one smooth movement lifted it up and off. Bending her back over his arm he traced the tip of his tongue around the lace edge of her bra. Seeing the tight peaks that had formed he licked them through the lace until the damp material clung closely to her flesh. Taking first one, then the other into his mouth he bit gently listening to her breath shorten until she was gasping. Releasing the front clasp of her bra he used his teeth to bare her for his sweet torture. Using two fingers he rubbed the tips of her breasts over and over in a circular motion enjoying her cries of pleasure. Arching her back more he swooped down, replacing his fingers with his mouth and suckled strongly. She screamed, grasped his head with both hands and pulled him harder against her.

When her knees gave way, he picked her up and laid her gently on the bed, quickly removing the rest of her clothes and his own. Still standing beside the bed he ran his hand up and down her legs until they flexed involuntarily and she opened for him. Gently caressing her most sensitive flesh he urged her thighs wider until there was room for him.

Moaning, she reached for him, tugging on his arms until he lowered his body onto hers bracing his weight on his elbows. Smoothing her hair off her forehead he nibbled her lips as he teased her with the tip of his shaft. Grasping his buttocks with both hands she tried to force him deeper, but couldn’t budge him. He chuckled. Growling in frustration she used her nails. Gasping, he gave in, entering her slowly so that she felt every burrowing inch. She shuddered hard. Buried to the hilt he held still for long moments until he could no longer ignore her undulating movements beneath him. He began moving, slowly rocking against her. Wanting to feel more of him she pulled on his arms until he relented and lowered his full weight onto her. Wrapping her arms around him she captured his tongue and sucked it into her mouth matching his rhythm. Groaning he increased his speed and she kept up. Harder, faster, deeper until she went rigid beneath him and screamed her release. Feeling her pulsations tugging at him, with a throttled shout he followed her into oblivion.

No comments: