Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chapter 16

The next day Lindsay was trying hard to focus on the reports in front of her instead of the discussion of the night before. Replaying everything in her mind she decided she didn’t regret a word she’d said. She did however, regret the effect they’d had on Jon. She knew he was confused and frustrated with her stand, but she didn’t see what else she could do. I’m sorry Jon, but this is the way it has to be.

She looked up at the knock at her door, stared, and bowed her head in acceptance. Raising her head again she asked. “So, how does this work exactly? He loses an argument, doesn’t get his way so he calls in reinforcements?”

Laughing Carol Bongiovi stepped forward and took the chair on the other side of the desk. “Relax, I happen to agree with you on this one – and I told Jon that. I’m here because I wanted to meet the woman who has the understanding and compassion to put the needs of four children before her own, the strength to fight for what she believes is right, and the courage to stand up to my sometimes overbearing eldest son.”

She paused. “I know Jon has been very unhappy for a long time, and it was killing me to be unable to help him. That’s why I was so happy when he told be he’d met someone. It warmed my heart to see the sparkle back in his eyes. But I was also afraid that you would be some fawning fan that just wanted her moment in the limelight and to be able to say that she’d slept with Jon Bon Jovi. That’s not what he needs, and not what I want for him. I am so relieved that he picked someone who will care for him and the children, support him when he needs it but won’t be a door mat.”

She gazed at Lindsay searchingly for a long moment before, nodding decisively, she rose from her chair. “Yes, I think you will be good for him. Now, when the dust settles a little and the children are ready, we’ll have another family dinner – the whole family - and you will be expected to be there. In the meantime, I would like the two of us to have lunch sometime soon and get to know each other.”

Lindsay hesitated, then rose and came around the desk. “I’d like that.”

Carol hugged her briefly. “I’ll call you soon.”

Lindsay stood staring at the empty doorway a long time after Carol left. I think I could really like her. Rather than encouraging her, the thought just increased the depth of pain she would feel later, when this whole incredible episode of her life was over.


The next couple of days were very tense for Lindsay. Jon was barely speaking to her and was spending most of his time at his own house. He said it was because he needed to be in the studio, but she was afraid that that was just an excuse. Nice going Lindsay, you finally did it. You finally pushed back so hard you pushed him away.

“Hey Lindsay are you there?” Brian asked. They were in the car on the way to a crime scene.

“Sorry, I guess I was daydreaming.” She apologized.

“Well, I hope it was a good dream, because this scene sounds like the stuff of nightmares.”

“What do we know?” she asked all business again.

“Husband, wife three kids aged 8, 5 and 3. All dead. Possible murder suicide.” Brian answered grimly.

“The husband?”

“No, the wife.”

“Jesus.”

Brian was right about it being a nightmare scene. The entire house was covered in blood. It looked like something out of a slasher movie. Brian tried to shield her from the worst of it, but she insisted that she could deal with it. Following a trail of blood she came upon the three year old. Swallowing heavily she ran out of the house before she disgraced herself and contaminated the evidence. Brian came out to check on her.

“Are you ok?” He asked gently.

“My God Brian, that child was tortured!” Her voice shook.

“I know. They all were. I’ve never seen anything like it. The rage that it must have taken to do that to your own children!” He shook his head in bewilderment.

They were there for hours collecting evidence. When they got back to the lab Brian offered. “After you log this stuff in why don’t you head home. The DNA will take awhile to process anyway and we can start piecing this all together in the morning.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I think we’ve both had about all we can take tonight. Speaking of which I don’t think you should be driving. I can give you a ride home.”

“Don’t be silly, I’m fine. I’m perfectly capable of driving myself home.” She wasn’t entirely sure about that, but she refused to be a ‘weak female’.

“Listen Lindsay, I know that you are a very capable CSI, but you’re still new at this and that crime scene was enough to make even the most hardened coroner toss his cookies. I would expect you to be a little shaky after that. Hell, I am. And when the shock wears off it will be worse.”

Exiting the building together he insisted. “I’m pulling rank. You cannot drive. I can see your hands trembling from here.” He frowned. “Do you have someone to stay with you tonight? When the shock wears off completely you’re going to collapse and I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to be alone.” Looking up he answered his own question. “Never mind I can see that you will be well taken care of. See you tomorrow Lindsay. Try to get some rest.”

Lindsay watched him walk away wondering what in the world he was talking about. Shrugging, she took a deep breath and started towards her car. She got three steps before she saw him. Leaning against the car with a ball cap pulled low over his eyes she almost didn’t recognize him. If he almost fooled me how did Brian know it was him? And why did he assume he was here for me? Her mind came up empty.

When she approached the car Jon straightened and walked to the passenger side to open the door for her. When she would have spoken he shook his head. “Not yet, just focus on holding on until I get you home.”

Halfway there, she couldn’t wait any longer. “How did you know?”

“It’s on the news.”

Parking the car he cautioned her. “Wait.” Coming around he opened her door, and helped her get out. When her legs threatened to give way he grabbed her around the waist and supported her.

Inside her apartment he sat on the couch, cradling her on his lap. “Ok, talk to me.” He commanded gently. Slowly at first, she told him about what she saw and how she felt. When it became too hard he stroked her hair with his hand and waited until she could continue. When she got to the three year old she broke, and he held her while she shook and cried, stroking her with his hands and brushing her forehead with his lips.

Later, when the shaking had stopped, when the tears had stopped she sat in his lap exhausted. Catching the hand that was stroking her hair she pressed a kiss into his palm. “Thank you” she whispered.

Tipping her face up with a finger under her chin he searched her face. “Feeling better?”

She blew out a breath and nodded. “I think so.”

“Do you think you could eat something?”

She smiled. “Only if I don’t have to get up.”

Chuckling, he lifted her and set her on the couch. When she protested he shushed her. “I’m coming right back.” Rising he headed for the kitchen.

He returned a few minutes later with a couple of sandwiches and a big pitcher of water. Sitting and resettling Lindsay on his lap he handed her a full glass. “Drink, you need to rehydrate.”

Relaxing against him she obeyed. When she’d finished the whole glass he refilled it from the pitcher and handed her a sandwich.

She had to smile. “I can see that you’re a good father.”

At first he looked startled, then he laughed. “Thank you, but just for the record I do not see myself, in a fatherly role, in any way, shape, or form where you are concerned.”

Chuckling she saluted him with her sandwich.

The phone rang. Without dislodging her Jon reached over and, snagging the receiver handed it to her.

“Hello. Oh hi Mom. You saw that on the news eh? Yes I was there. It was pretty bad. No, I’m fine. Really Mom, I’m ok. No I’m not alone, Jon’s here. Yes, the rock star.” She could feel his chest shake as he laughed silently. “Ok just a minute.” She handed him the phone. “She wants to talk to you.”

“Hello Mrs. Chandler. Well, she was pretty shook up, but I think she’s going to be alright. No, I’m not going to leave her alone tonight. Yes, I understand that you’re trusting me with your daughter’s virtue. I’ll take good care of her. I’ll have her call you tomorrow. Good night.”

“Oh my God. I don’t believe she said that.” She tried to hide her flaming face in his shirt.

Jon just laughed and hugged her. “I kinda like being responsible for your virtue – or lack of it.”

“Mmm, and I’m definitely glad that you take your responsibilities so seriously.” She kissed his neck, then licked a path up his neck to nibble on his ear lobe. He shivered in response and she chuckled.

“If you keep that up you’re going to get me in trouble with your mother.” She didn’t stop. “Ok, that’s it.” Holding her tightly he stood and headed for the bedroom.

In consideration for all she’d been through that day, Jon kept it soft and gentle. He gave her slow melting kisses that took her breath away and left her limp. His caresses were light and coaxing. Taking her pebbled nipples between his fingers he squeezed once, then rolled them gently. When her back arched he bent and kissed them softly causing her to sigh his name. Licking his way down her stomach he probed her navel with the tip of his tongue. Smoothing his hands down her legs he bent her knees and opened her for his touch. He explored her very lightly watching her face and monitoring her reactions. When she was panting and her hips began to move involuntarily he settled his hips between her thighs and slowly entered her. Then he held still. Braced on his elbows, he brushed her hair back from her forehead and traced her lips with the tip of his tongue while they pulsed intimately against each other. When she parted her lips for him he took possession of her mouth as slowly and gently as he had taken possession of her body. Finally, he began to move, more rocking than thrusting, slowly, gently until he felt her go rigid beneath him and the pulsations of her climax took him over the edge with her.

Rolling off her he cradled her close to him. When she had caught her breath she gazed up at him in wonder. “How do you always know just what I need? Do you have some sort of erotic sixth sense or something?”

He chuckled. “I don’t know.” He hesitated. “To be honest it’s never been like this for me either. I guess we just fit well together.”

“Amen” She kissed him softly before throwing an arm across his chest and drifting off to sleep.




Chapter 17

The weeks passed in relative calm. Jon was deep into preparation for a new album so Lindsay didn’t see as much of him as she’d have liked, but she understood. They both made a point of trying to make sure their time together was quality time. When the weather turned cold she was thrilled to realize that the fireplace in her apartment actually worked. She knew she was really missing Jon when all she could think of what she’d like to do to him in front of that fire. She sighed and tried not to count the hours until Jon would arrive.


One chilly Sunday afternoon Lindsay was sitting in front of the fire flipping through a magazine when Jon walked in the door. For a moment Lindsay just stared at him. He was wearing worn jeans that fit him like a glove and a black turtleneck like the one in the All About Loving You video. Something inside her snapped.

“Hey honey, what do you think…” He didn’t get a chance to finish. He had to catch her as she literally launched herself at him. In seconds he found himself on the floor, flat on his back with Lindsay all over him like flies on honey. She ate at his mouth with hers like she was trying to devour him. Straddling his waist she sat up and pulled at his sweater. When he would have removed it completely, she shook her head. “No, leave it on.” She did push it up until it bunched under his arms though and fell upon his chest. Flexing her fingers into his pecs she kissed a path to his ear. Licking and sucking she continued down his chest to his nipples. Her hands dropped to his waist where she ripped open his jeans. Sliding down a bit further she tugged to get them off his hips. Gasping he lifted them to help her. Leaving his jeans hanging on the tops of his thighs, she kicked out of her pants, moved back up and sank down on him. This time it was his back that arched in pleasure. Gazing down at him she started to move, sliding slowly up and down. Eyes locked he cupped her breasts as she rose and fell, faster and faster until the wave swamped them.

Laying side by side on the floor, panting, he was staring at the ceiling. “What….brought…..that….on?”

“Complaining?”

“Nope…want….to know…..how….to make….it….happen…..again.”

She chuckled breathlessly. “Turtleneck.”

He turned his head to look at her. “You have….. a thing…. for turtlenecks?”

“Not usually, but I have to say babe, you wear them well.”

He laughed. “Remind me not to wear them in public with you. Getting arrested for lewd behaviour would be too cliché.”


Three days later they were sitting watching TV when Lindsay’s phone rang.

“Hello”

“Hi, is this Lindsay Chandler?” asked a girl’s voice.

“Yes it is, who’s this?” She shot Jon a wary look. At his questioning look she shrugged.

“This is Stephanie Bongiovi. You told me I could call you if I needed …to talk.” She sounded unsure.

“Absolutely. What’s wrong?” She needed to decide real quick whether to tell Jon what was going on.

“Nothing’s wrong exactly it’s just …..” She wasn’t sure how to explain it.

“Overwhelming?” Lindsay guessed.

“Yes, exactly. I need to get away from it for a little while, but I don’t want to freak everyone out again.”

Thinking quickly, Lindsay came up with a suggestion. “What do you say we have a girl’s night out on Friday, say dinner and a movie? We could talk.”

There was a pause, then: “I’d like that.”

“Are you going to tell your mother?”

“I guess I’d better or she’d be calling the police again.”

“Ok. If you have any problems tell her to call me and I’ll talk to her.”

“Thanks, I will. See you Friday. ‘Night.”

“’Night honey.”

Hanging up she turned to Jon. “That was Stephanie.” His eyebrows rose in surprise. “I’d given her my phone number and told her to call me if she needed to get away and talk instead of running off again. She’s taking me up on my offer.”

“What’s the matter?” He asked concerned.

“I don’t know for sure. She sounds like she just needs a break. I’ll find out on Friday.”

He gazed at her warmly, then hugged her tight. “You’re good people Lindsay. I’m glad I found you.”



Chapter 18

Friday night Dorothea dropped Stephanie off at the lab. “Will you drop her back at home after?” she asked.

“Sure.” Lindsay responded. She hesitated, then murmured. “I’ll let you know if it’s anything serious.”

Dorothea nodded. “Thanks.”

Over nachos and burritos at Stephanie’s favorite Mexican restaurant Lindsay waited for Stephanie to open up. They discussed their favorite actors, TV shows, movies, and of course, music.”

“You don’t have to say you like my dad’s band just because I’m here.” Stephanie assured her.

Lindsay smiled. “Well actually I’ve been a fan since long before you were born.”

“You mean back when he had all that long hair?” She was laughing.

Lindsay laughed too. “Hey, I liked him with all of that long hair. All the cool guys had it. It was ‘the look’.”

“But they all looked like girls” Stephanie insisted. “And I can’t believe that Grandpa didn’t cut it off!”

“By that time your dad was too old for your grandpa to make him do anything. It was just the way things were then. Big hair, tight pants and ripped shirts…that was the 80s.” She sighed.

“You say that like you miss it.”

“Sometimes I do. I have some very good memories from that time.”

Stephanie frowned and turned serious. “That’s when my parents loved each other.”

“Oh sweetie, they still do, it’s just…different now. Sometimes people change and realize that what they thought they wanted out of life isn’t enough anymore.” Lindsay hesitated. “You know that they both love you very much don’t you?”

“Yeah, I know, it’s just hard getting used to everything. You know, a new house, Dad not living there, just us and Mom.” She smiled. “One thing that’s good though. They both seem happy again. Mom’s spending a lot of time with Sam.”

“How do you feel about that?” Lindsay asked

Stephanie shrugged. “He’s ok, I guess. He’s good to Mom and I know he’s trying real hard with us, it’s just….” She shrugged again.

“It’s just that he’s not your dad.” Lindsay finished for her.

Stephanie nodded. “Something’s up with Dad too.”

“What do you mean?” Lindsay’s heart started to pound.

“Well, I’m not really sure. He seems really happy again. I think he’s dating someone, but he won’t talk about it.” She frowned.

“Maybe he thinks you’ve got enough to deal with right now.” She took a deep breath. “How would you feel if he was dating someone?”

Stephanie thought about it for a few minutes before she answered. “If he’s happy then fine. I’d want to meet her though. I just hope it’s not some big busted blonde bimbo. If she was someone like you it’d be ok I guess.”

Lindsay let out her breath and smiled.

The movie they saw was a romantic comedy and they laughed all the way home, imitating and making fun of various characters.

Dorothea met them on the front step when they arrived. After exchanging thank yous and goodbyes Stephanie entered the house.

Dorothea turned to Lindsay. “Is she ok?”

“Yes, she’s fine. I think she’s just a little overwhelmed by everything and needed to get away from it and talk to someone who’s not involved.” Dorothea snorted. “Well she doesn’t know I’m involved, and I’d like to keep it that way for now.”Dorothea looked at her speculatively. “Why?”

“Because I want to be sure that she’s ready, and she’s not yet. I don’t want to add to what she’s already dealing with. Besides, if it doesn’t work out…..” she trailed off and shrugged.

Dorothea nodded. “I see your point. Besides, right now she’s turning to you instead of running off, and I’d prefer to keep it that way.”


Entering her apartment she found Jon sitting on the couch waiting for her. She sat down beside him and laid her head on his shoulder. Taking her hand and lacing their fingers together he prodded her. “Well?”

She sighed. “That’s one very bright, mature thirteen year old you have.”

“I know, sometimes I think she’s too smart for all of our good.” He smiled against her hair.

“She’s ok, just a little overwhelmed with everything. She just needed to talk to someone outside the family.” She tilted her head back to look at him. “She’s on to you, you know.”

“What do you mean?”

“She’s sure you’re dating someone. She just doesn’t know who.”

He stilled. “How did she react to the idea?” It was his turn to hold his breath.

“She said that she hoped it wasn’t ‘some big busted blonde bimbo’. Other than that if you were happy she was ok with it.”

He chuckled relieved. “I guess we’re safe then.”

Lindsay smiled in return. I’m in too deep! And she didn’t know if she had the courage to try again. But if I don’t want to lose him then I’m going to have to try. But if I let him go public I will likely lose him anyway. It was a decision she was going to have to make, and soon.

No comments: