Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chapter 19

With album preparation in full swing Richie was back in town and Lindsay saw even less of Jon. Sometimes it was days at a time. She didn’t complain, but she missed him. Jon was feeling the strain too. One afternoon Lindsay was sitting in her office reading an article on new evidence collection techniques when her phone rang.

“Hello.”

“Hi honey, how are you?” His voice could still send shivers down her spine.

“I’m Ok, how are you doing?”

He sighed. “Not worth a damn at the moment. I’m tired, we’ve both got writer’s block, we’re snapping at each other……and I miss you.” The frustration was clear in his voice.

She smiled. “I miss you too. And maybe you two need to take a break.”

“That’s just what I was thinking.” There was a long pause. “Why don’t you come out to the house for dinner tonight?” There was an even longer pause. “Come on Lindsay, please?”

Lindsay sighed. It’s now or never Linds. It’s just Richie, it’s not the whole world. If you don’t take the chance you’ll end up alone for the rest of your life. Who will you ever find worth taking the risk as much as Jon? Just take it one step at time, but take that first step.

“It’s just Richie right? No outsiders?” Lindsay’s stomach was churning and her heart was pounding.

“It’ll just be the three of us.” He was almost afraid to hope that he had finally broken through.

Expelling a deep breath Lindsay grabbed her courage with both hands. “Ok, I’ll come out after work.”

Pulling up in front of the house, Lindsay sat frozen for long minutes with her heart in her throat. Jon must have worried that she’d back out because he suddenly appeared at her car door. Opening it he took her hand and helped her out.

Tilting her face up with his hand he kissed her gently. Lacing their fingers tightly together he gazed down at her. “Ready?” When she nodded he headed for the house towing her gently behind him.

They found Richie in the den. Rising at their entrance he came forward to meet them.

“Lindsay Chandler, meet Richie Sambora, Rich this is Lindsay.” Even Lindsay could hear the note of pride in Jon’s voice.

“Hi, Richie, it’s nice…” She never got a chance to finish. She had been holding out her hand, but found her self enveloped by his arms and lifted clear off the floor.

When he set her down again, she backed up a few steps and eyed him warily. Jon laughed, stood behind her and wrapped her protectively in his arms. Richie just grinned.

“Dare I ask what that was all about or do you always greet women like that?” she asked him.

“Nope, just the special ones who bring the life back to my best friend.” Richie answered with feeling.

“Good, because there isn’t enough security guards in the world to protect you from the women.” Lindsay retorted. Both men laughed.

Dinner was a laughter filled affair with Richie trying to put Lindsay at ease by telling her stories of some of their adventures.

“So we’re on stage in Italy, and Captain Kidd’s about to fly. Jon runs out to the end of the catwalk and jumps. Well, the cable only lifts him about a foot, but moves him about six feet out from the catwalk so he can’t get back to it. He’s got nothing to stand on and he’s hanging there just above the crowd’s head. Of course this area of the crowd is all female. Talk about reach out and touch! I thought they were going to pull him right off the cable! We’re all yelling at the crew, but we’d had to hire locals to help and they didn’t speak English, and we didn’t speak Italian. The hand signals were flying. It took ten minutes to get them to understand and pull Jon back to the stage. By then his shirt was gone and his pants were in shreds. And all the while Doc’s yelling ‘what the fuck do you mean you don’t speak Italian, your name’s Bongiovi for Christ’s sake!’”

“I’m surprised I had any hair left on my head.” Jon rubbed his scalp in remembrance. “I’m sure I lost big chunks.”

Lindsay was laughing so hard she had tears running down her face. “Good thing you had lots of it.”

Back in the den over a few drinks Richie tried to draw Lindsay out. “So what made you decide to become a CSI?”

“Well, my degree was in science, but I’d never found a specific area that really appealed to me. I also love puzzles and mysteries. Then when the TV shows came out I realized there was an area that combined the two and I was fascinated. It all just seemed to fit.” She paused. “I was at a point in my life where I needed to make a change, so I went back to school, and here I am.” Taking a sip of her drink she missed the look that passed between the men.

“For which we are all very thankful.” Jon kissed her temple.

“So how’s the album coming?” She smoothly changed the subject.

That set them off on discussions of various songs and what was going well and what wasn’t.

“We’ve got that benefit concert at the Borgata next month. I’d like to have a couple of new songs ready to try out.” Jon said.

“So it’s back to the studio tomorrow?” Lindsay asked.

“Yeah, hopefully a good night’s sleep will break the writer’s block” Richie yawned.

“Speaking of sleep, I’m sorry guys, but I’m beat.” Lindsay apologized.

“Up the stairs, second door on the right. You go ahead, I’ll be up soon.” Jon told her.

Lindsay stared at him for a minute until his directions clicked in. Shooting a glance at Richie she frowned at Jon. He just smiled innocently. “What?”

She just shook her head at him and turned to Richie. “Good night Richie.”

“Good night Lindsay, see you later.”

Upstairs, she paced the huge bedroom waiting for Jon. When he entered the room and searched for her he was surprised to see her still dressed.

“I thought you were tired.”

“I am. I’m just not sure I’m comfortable with this.”

“With what? What difference does it make whether it’s your place or mine?”

“It’s just that I’ve only been in this house a few times, and this is the first time I’ve ever been in this room. It just feels….strange.” She glanced at the king size bed.

“Don’t worry it’s a new bed.” He said dryly. She made a face at him, turned and walked out onto the balcony. He followed her out.

“This is really nice.” She commented looking at the view. “I always wanted a balcony off my bedroom.”

Standing behind her he ran his hands up and down her arms. “Thank you for coming tonight. It really meant a lot to me. I really want you and Richie to become friends.”

She leaned back against him. “He’s quite the character. He seems to be doing well.”

“Yeah, he’s really coming along.”

Sliding his hands around her waist he nuzzled her neck. “So are you going to stay here tonight?”

“Mmmm, but I don’t have a nightgown here.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll keep you warm.”

She chuckled then gasped as his hands slid up under her sweater and cupped her breasts.

“Lift your arms.” He whispered. When she obeyed he pushed her sweater up and off.

“Jon, we’re outside.” She tried to cover herself as her bra followed her sweater.

“It’s ok, we’re at the back of the house. No one can see.” He assured her.

“But Richie…”

“Is sleeping on the other side of the house. Relax it’s just us.”

Pushing her hands away he reclaimed her breasts, kneading firmly. Releasing her briefly he pulled his shirt over his head and sent it sailing after her sweater. Pressing his chest against her back he slid one arm over her midriff to hold her to him. Outlining her ear with his tongue his other hand slowly opened her pants and slid inside. At the same time that his tongue dipped into her ear his finger dipped into her warmth. When her knees wanted to buckle he supported her. Stepping forward he urged her to hold on to the balcony railing. Kissing a path down her spine he knelt behind her to ease the rest of her clothes off. Rising he kicked off his own and pressed up against her back again. Nudging her legs apart he caressed her most sensitive flesh with his, reveling in her cries of pleasure. Bending over her he cupped her breasts again pinching and tugging her hard nipples gently. As she whimpered in need he entered her slowly until he was buried to the hilt. They both groaned at the sensations pulsing through them. When he started to move she gripped the rail tighter and pushed back against him. Despite the cool air their bodies were covered with a fine mist of sweat as they continued to move against each other. Gasping for breath they strained for the peak, and reaching it together, they collapsed onto the floor of the balcony.

Catching his breath, Jon rose, picked Lindsay up, carried her inside and laid her on the big bed. Sliding in beside her he pulled her close against him and succumbed to sleep.



Chapter 20

Over the next few weeks Lindsay spent a fair amount of time at the estate. She was becoming more and more comfortable around Richie although she still watched him closely for any sign of disapproval. So far she hadn’t seen any and was beginning to believe that Jon was right. Anyone who made him happy would be alright with the rest of the band. Even someone like her.

She had also discovered that Richie loved chocolate chip cookies. She decided to make some one day for a treat. She was now making quadruple batches every 3 days, and their sheet music looked like it came from Willy Wonka’s!

The only tense time came over a discussion of the Borgata event. The three of them were having dinner when Richie brought it up.

“Lindsay are you coming to the Borgata?”

“Yes, and that reminds me. The girls at the lab asked me if I knew anyone who could get us better seats.” She batted her eyelashes at Jon. Richie laughed.

“Yeah I guess, how many?” he responded shaking his head at her antics.

“Four. Thanks.” She blew him a kiss across the table.

“Wait a minute, aren’t you coming with us?” Richie asked.

“No, I’m going with the girls.” She answered without looking at Jon and waited for the explosion.

“Dammit Lindsay!” He started.

“Jon, no. We’ve been over this a hundred times. You know how I feel. This is your first gig since the divorce. The media is still hounding Richie, watching every move he makes, and it’s been months. I’m not ready to be part of the fishbowl! Not yet. Plus, I want to enjoy the show as just another face in the crowd, without worrying about people watching me and judging my dance moves.” Among other things. “Besides, once you get on stage, I could be standing right beside you and you wouldn’t know it.” She dared him to deny it. He couldn’t.

“Now, when are David, Tico, and Hugh arriving to start rehearsals?” She signaled the end of the discussion.

Not wanting to let it go, it took a few minutes before Jon answered. “Day after tomorrow.”

“Are they all staying here?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll speak to Melanie about making sure rooms are ready for them.” Lindsay offered.

“You’d better make more cookies.” Richie advised. They all laughed.

“Any other requests? Hey, does Tico know how to make Mojitos?” Her mouth watered at the thought.

“You like those?” Richie asked.

She nodded. “I fell in love with them in Cuba and haven’t been able to find a decent one since.”

“Tico’s going to love you.” Richie predicted.

Turning to Jon, Lindsay found him staring at her. In response to the questioning brow she raised at him he nodded. He understood her message. She was willing to meet the rest of the band. Step two.



Chapter 21

The next day when her phone rang Lindsay glance at the call display and smiled.

“What’s wrong? You can’t be out of cookies already!”

“No, but they’re getting low.” Richie laughed. “Are you coming here this afternoon? We need your opinion on something.”

“Well, that sounds interesting, I’ll be over in a bit.”

“Ok, thanks.”

Arriving at the house she entered the front door. “Jon? Richie?” She called.

“We’re upstairs honey.” Jon called back.

Running up the stairs she started searching through rooms until she found them. Looking around the room she was stunned. It was the biggest walk-in closet she’d ever seen.

“Wow!” She exclaimed softly. “You’ve got more clothes in here than most stores!”

“Stage clothes.” Jon informed her. Smiling at her reaction he let her roam around looking through everything.

Finally, she turned to the men. “So what did you need me for?”

Jon rolled his eyes. “Richie doesn’t like the clothes I had picked out for the Borgata.”

“They’re boring and not cool man.” Richie insisted.

“And you want a female’s opinion.” Lindsay guessed, trying not to laugh. “Ok, show me.”

When Jon brought out the first shirt she struggled not to show her reaction.

“Well?” Jon asked.

“Umm, it’s nice.” She began.

“Yeah, if you’re attending the concert, not if you’re performing it.” Richie interrupted.

Looking at Jon apologetically she admitted. “Sorry honey, but he’s right.”

Jon threw up his hands. “You pick something out then.”

“Really?” She asked. He nodded. “Ok, so you need what, three shirts and two pairs of pants?”

He nodded again and the two men sat back and watched her go through Jon’s wardrobe. She felt like a kid let loose in a candy shop. Just when she thought she had made her decision she’d see something else that she needed to consider. It took almost half an hour before she was satisfied. That ought to provide some good gutter pics! Laying out her choices she waited for their reaction.

“Now, that is a rock star’s outfit.” Richie beamed at her approvingly.

Even Jon had to agree that she’d done well. “I’m going to sic her on you next.” He threatened Richie.

“Do you pick out your own clothes Rich?” she asked.

“Yeah, pretty much.” He answered.

“Then he doesn’t need my help. He does very well on his own.” Lindsay stated. “Now David, on the other hand needs some help. Actually, he needs a lot of help.”

“I heard that.” Came a voice from the doorway.

Jon saw Lindsay stiffen and moved to stand beside her for support.

“Hey man, you’re early.” Jon observed.

“Yeah I was at loose ends and thought I’d come enhance your lives with my presence. And what do I find when I arrive? My fashion sense being slandered!”

“Actually I think it was determined that you have no fashion sense.” Richie quipped.

Laughing, Jon urged Lindsay forward with an arm around her waist.

“Lindsay I’d like you to meet David Rashbaum. David this is Lindsay Chandler…my girlfriend.”

“Really?” David grinned and, ignoring the hand she held out swept her up in a big hug. “You’ve been holding out on us man.”

Lindsay watched David’s reaction very carefully. All she saw was genuine happiness for his friend. She exhaled.


Three days later she found herself sitting around the dinner table with all the members of Bon Jovi. Letting the conversation flow around her she looked around letting her gaze pause on each person, trying to convince herself that all of this was real. David and Richie were engaged in a battle of one upmanship to see who could make her laugh the most. Tico saluted her with his Mojito and smiled. She raised her glass in return. While quieter than the other two, when he spoke everyone listened. If Tico was quiet, Hugh was mute. Other than saying hello when she met him, he hadn’t said two words to her or anyone else within her hearing either.

Leaning over to Jon she murmured. “Does he ever speak?”

Having been watching her look at everyone he knew who she was referring to. “Yeah, he just takes awhile to warm up. He just seems quiet in comparison to Laurel and Hardy over there.”

“So how about it Linds?” David asked.

“Sorry I missed that. How about what?” she replied warily.

“How about you taking David shopping for stage clothes?” Richie repeated for her.

“Gee guys, I don’t know. I haven’t been around here long enough to know the stores.” She was surprised and a little bit intrigued by the request.

“Oh he knows which stores to go to,” Richie assured her, “he just doesn’t know what looks good.” They all laughed.

“Ok, I’ll check my work load and see what we can arrange.” She promised.

Later that night, standing on the balcony, enjoying the moonlight Jon asked her, “What were you thinking when you were looking around the table?”

Leaning back against him, she answered honestly. “I was trying to convince myself that all of this was real. If anyone had told me even six months ago that I would personally meet Bon Jovi, let alone have dinner with them, and swap fashion tips, I would have told them it would only be in my dreams.”

Turning in his arms she ran her fingers through his hair, then framed his face with her hands. “And you……the reality of you is beyond anything I’ve ever dreamed.” And the thought of losing you scares the hell out of me.

Smiling he kissed her gently and hugged her close. “I know the feeling.”

No comments: